Everyone needs a few go-to quick recipes to make on days you just don’t have time or don’t feel like cooking. This is one of those recipes for us. It comes together in no time and combines a few ingredients we always seem to have on hand.
Plantains + Eggs + Pulled Pork
We usually buy a few plantains each week to make pan-fried plantains, plantain cakes or these delicious grain-free pancakes. This dish is basically just my recipe for pan-fried plantains with an extra step of adding eggs and pork.
We pick up a pork shoulder once every other week to make Nom Nom Paleo’s Kalua Pig. It’s a simple, inexpensive way to make enough pork for many meals throughout the week. Using pulled pork is my favorite way to make this, but you could use just about any protein you happen to have – chorizo, steak, ground beef or whatever your heart desires.
When I first envisioned this recipe, I pictured perfect round slices of plantain, surrounded by egg and pieces of pulled pork. In reality, especially if you make this to serve more than one person, it’s becomes more like an omelet. If you’re going for presentation, you can make smaller, flippable quantities at a time or you can make it in a big skillet and fold it over like an omelet. Either way, it will taste fantastic!
To make a single serve skillet I used this ridiculously cute miniature cast iron pan. It was the first piece of cast iron I bought for myself because it was affordable and completely adorable.
We love this skillet topped with green onions and hot sauce. If you’re looking for junk-free, Whole30 compliant brands – check out Cholula original and my personal new favorite Louisiana Hot Sauce. The heat is a great combination with the sweetness of the plantains.
This recipe is one of our new favorites because it’s simple, needs only 5 ingredients and can be made in one pan. No long list of ingredients to buy and only one dish to clean – that is a formula for a happy cook! Enjoy ♥
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, or fat of choice.
- 5 eggs, whisked
- 1 yellow or yellow/brown plantain
- 1/2 cup pulled pork, cooked
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Hot sauce and sliced green onions to garnish
- Heat pan over medium high heat and add oil/fat to pan.
- Slice plantains and place in a single layer in hot pan, sprinkle with sea salt.
- While plantains are cooking, prepare your pork and whisk your eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Let plantains cook for 4-5 minutes until nicely browned and flip over.
- Immediately after flipping plantains, add pork to pan in the spaces between plantain slices and let cook for about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add eggs to pan and wait 4-5 minutes for eggs to set.
- Flip everything over to the other side if possible, or simply flip over like a folded omelette and allow the other side to cook.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove to a platter or serve directly in cast iron and garnish with green onions and hot sauce.
- This is to feed a few people, but for a single serving, one pan meal use 3 eggs, 1/2 plantain and 1/4 cup pulled pork.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything contained in these links, your price is completely unaffected. This is simply how I support my time on this blog. I only include affiliate links for products I use and love. Any compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog.