This week’s post is dedicated to my Stepdad, Lew. During a recent visit, Lew made a simple, but delicious breakfast that inspired this Paleo Mexican Casserole that tastes as wonderful as it looks!
I’ve mentioned that my mom is my biggest fan and supporter, but today I want to share a little bit about my Stepdad, Lew. Even though he doesn’t always agree with my way of eating, he does little things like surprising me with this cookbook in my early days of eating paleo. He didn’t call and say it was coming, but when I opened it and saw who it was from, I knew it was his way of saying that regardless of whether he agrees or not, he supports me 100%.
My stepdad and I didn’t always get along when I was growing up, apparently we are a little too similar (at least that’s what my Grandma always used to say), so when I grew up and moved out of the house, we began to build a healthier, more loving relationship with each other.
One of the things that helped was our mutual interest in cooking. Lew is one of the best cooks I’ve ever known and his fully stocked kitchen of gadgets, spices and generations-old cast iron is a truly beautiful thing to behold. As my interest in real food grew, so did my desire to be a better cook. I soon began going to Lew for all of my cooking questions, which he was always so eager to answer.
Lew and my Mom were recently here for a visit and one morning, we all had the most delicious breakfast together. He made a simple scramble of eggs, spring onions and bell peppers. I have gotten pretty bored with breakfast lately, but this meal got the wheels turning and I knew I wanted to make this into a flavorful, colorful breakfast casserole.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so on the days I go to work, I love taking a piece of something delicious like this Paleo Mexican Casserole. Each bite has a delicious balance of chorizo, eggs and veggies. This casserole was inspired by my stepdad, Lew, who has been a patient and wonderful teacher as I’ve learned to cook for my family to better live a real food, paleo lifestyle. Enjoy!
- 1lb Chorizo
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 12 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 4-5 Green onions/Scallions, sliced thinly (about 3/4 cup)
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375
- Brown chorizo and drain.
- Grease casserole dish with fat of choice. I used avocado oil.
- Layer chorizo in bottom of casserole dish.
- Dice red bell pepper and thinly slice green onions.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk well.
- Add bell pepper and green onions to eggs and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over chorizo.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is nicely browned.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- If you can't find quality chorizo, you can do what we did - add a chorizo spice blend with a splash of apple cider vinegar to ground pork. The Chorizo Spice Blend in Practical Paleo was perfect!
- I used a 9x12 casserole dish, but you could also use a smaller dish for a thicker casserole.
This recipe is grain-free, dairy-free and Whole30 compliant. If you’re in a breakfast rut, like I was, this will be sure to spice things up!
This post does contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything contained in these links, your price is completely unaffected. This is simply how I support my time on this blog. I only include affiliate links for products I use and love. Any compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog.