If you’ve been following me, you already know how in love I am with the Easy Breakfast Casserole from PaleOMG. This casserole helped me successfully complete my first Whole30 and has continued to be one of my favorite meals.
On the weekend, I have a little extra time to whip up some fried eggs over greens and a side of sausage or bacon. On days that I go to work, it’s nice to have something like a breakfast casserole ready to go with everything combined into one dish. Each bite has a nice balance of sausage, eggs and veggies.
To keep breakfast interesting, I thought I would explore some of my cookbooks for other casseroles in preparation for my next Whole30. I came across a recipe in Practical Paleo for a crust-less quiche with carrots and zucchini. I thought using carrots and zucchini would be a nice change from the spinach and sweet potatoes I was currently adding to my go-to recipe.
I adapted this recipe to suit our needs and we absolutely love it. We’ve tried it in a large muffin pan and as a casserole and enjoyed it both ways.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 9x12 baking dish with butter or ghee.
- Brown sausage in pan and layer in bottom of dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and seasoning blend (or just salt and pepper to taste).
- Add carrots and zucchini to eggs and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over the layer of sausage.
- Bake for 45 minutes until fully cooked and slightly browned on top.
- After shredding your zucchini, make sure you squeeze it and remove as much excess water as possible. We use this to help get all that extra water out of our zucchini.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything contained in these links, your price is completely unaffected. This is simply how I support my time on this blog. I only include affiliate links for products I use and love. Any compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog.